December 15, 2015

Things James Says


It's been awhile since the last post on this! James has grown SO much, and so has his vocabulary.

He's much more sophisticated with his thoughts and sentences these days. He's certainly continuing to develop his sense of humor which is so much fun to be a part of. 

Jokes
What the heck kind of jokes does a toddler like?? Well, silly ones. Like "What does a dog say? Meow!" Hahaha. He also says "I'm just kidding!" or "I'm joking!" after saying something silly. What a goof. He'll also repeat back silly statements or jokes he's heard in shows or movies we've watched together. 

Contrasting statements
Not really sure what to call this, but he'll say the opposite of what we're trying to do, and repeat after me or Alan. For example, he started using chapstick, and for the first time or two I explained that it's just for our lips, not for teeth or tongues. So every time he uses the chapstick, he'll say "Not on my teeth! Not on my tongue!" Or if we're on our way somewhere, he'll demonstrate his awareness of space around him and say "We're not going to school! We're going to the park!" Pretty amazing to hear his level of understanding around concepts. 

Letter/number recognition
This has just continued to develop. James loves calling out numbers and letters he sees in the world around him. Numbers spray painted on a light pole? So exciting. Letters displayed in the grocery store? Awesome. It's very cool to see these pre-reading skills! 

Telling his own stories
James loves to read books, and wants to read them several times with me or Alan before taking the book himself. From here, he'll narrate the story himself, often following the same general plot lines or adding his own twists. Also a super-fun pre-reading behavior I remember exploring back in college. Since Alan and I love to read - this is awesome to see! Go James! 

Can I? 
James has started asking a lot more questions starting with "Can I...?" which is pretty cool. Sometimes it's stuff that I don't feel even needs a question, like "Can I go play in my room?" But it's also awfully nice to hear good questions like "Can I have a snack?" or "Can I give brother his paci?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS