February 10, 2016

Toddler Art-Themed Birthday Party

Oh my gosh. I had to laugh, because this afternoon Alan & I decided on a theme for James’ upcoming 3rd birthday party… and I realized I never blogged about his 2nd birthday party! Ack!

I guess it’s never too late… at least he’s still technically 2! ;) 


When starting to plan his birthday party, I knew I wanted something super kid friendly with lots of hands-on interactive play. I’d never thrown a birthday party for a toddler before, and we skipped a “first birthday” altogether. I was a little nervous about figuring it all out, before I realized – this was just another day for him, where some friends would come play. He wouldn’t give a hoot about matching napkins or fancy decorations or whatever else might stress me out. He would want to play!

I decided to make it a short afternoon party that would play well with all the kiddo’s nap schedules, and settled on an “art” theme since James and I had been doing so much painting leading up to his birthday. Pinterest was helpful when it came to deciding on some of the activities or games we would play, and I created the invitation by using watercolor paints on watercolor paper and scanning it. I added the text in Photoshop on my computer and LOVED the way it turned out. 


My friend Claire was incredibly kind and let us host the party at her house on her back porch. (Thanks, Claire!) This gave us plenty of room to move around and less stress if some of the art materials dripped or splattered. I decorated with simple streamers and banners from the dollar store, and hung a patterned tablecloth on the wall to act as a photo backdrop. 



The main event was the painting! I caught a deal at Michael’s on small canvases – the perfect size for little hands, and a great take-home item for the attendees. Each kid picked a smock, and we got to work. Some of the kiddos used brushes, some used fingers… and everyone had a great time mixing the colors together and creating. 






We also had some fun games to play with – a “bowling” game using tin cans and a tennis ball (the kids loved stacking them up and knocking them down with the ball!), huge punch balloons (none survived), and bubbles. 





Simple, easy, and fun.


We had simple kid friendly snacks, like Cuties oranges, goldfish crackers, freeze dried fruit, cheese, and meat. 


And for “cake”, I made some simple, healthy cupcakes with white frosting. In keeping with the art theme, I gave each kiddo a variety of sprinkles on a palette and let them decorate their own cupcake! So much fun, and another chance for the kiddos to be involved.




All in all, a great day celebrating our sweet, cheerful, silly, smart, brave, kind, darling boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS